While it was good to be away and I love MA with every fiber of my being, Orlando is my home and it’s where my heart is.
I didn’t always love Orlando. I was bitter for a long time about leaving. I hated living here throughout middle school and high school. I left as fast as I could, and went as far as I could without looking back. I rarely came back to visit while in undergrad.
It took going to college and living in Tallahassee for 7 years for me to fall in love. To realize what I was missing and what I never say before. When I moved back in 2004 I realized that Orlando WASN’T lame – it was pretty awesome — and here are the top 5 things I LOVE about MY city.
1. I will NEVER run out of things to do. (and those are just the touristy thing!) And people are ALWAYS willing to visit!
There are theme parks. There are regular parks. There are festivals. There are museums and gardens. There are food trucks. There are conventions. Orlando is the furthest thing you will ever get from boring.
2. Orlando truly IS the city beautiful, especially when you’re running around in it. It is green and lush almost every single month of the year. There are 104 (named) lakes and it’s a very clean city.
3. While the weather may suck in August & September (and sometimes in October when it hits 102)– the mild winters make it worth it. Sometimes I could do without it being 80 degrees on Christmas Day – until I watch the news and see everyone freezing their asses off. I’ll take the heat, thank you very much!
4. Orlando is big. We cover a lot of area — and include a lot of surround cities under the definition of Orlando – including Winter Park, Kissimmee (I’d love to hear guesses on how you guys pronounce this), Lake Mary, Altamonte, Longwood, and Windermere. There are areas of this city I’ve NEVER BEEN TO. Some I don’t want to go to, but most I definitely want to explore.
5. My family, my friends, and a lot of awesome bloggers live here! Orlando is generally a very friendly city. We are open minded, have big hearts, and always looking to make a new friend.
I truly believe that HOME is where YOU make it, but if I was going to choose ANYWHERE to live? It would be Orlando (and maybe somewhere in North Carolina, if everyone else moved with me). Good thing I’m already here!
What do you love about YOUR city?