This past week I’ve spent almost every night staying up late and reading this…
This was my September book pick (I’ll refrain from saying club, in case I’m the only one who read it) and here’s my review.
My review contains (some pretty big) spoilers, so if you HAVEN’T read this book (or seen the movie), and you plan on it, then come back tomorrow!
Ok — where to begin?
What I liked:
- The concept of checking in on the checking every year on the same date.
- The way that Nicholls wrote each day as if the person reading it KNEW what was going on in Emma and Dexter’s lives. The rest of the story fell into place (most of the time) and it didn’t assume the reader was a moron.
- The last chapter. LOVED. Honestly, if this chapter didn’t exist I would have given the book a very poor review (more on that in a bit). In the last pages of the book I *got* it. I got how much Emma loved Dex and how much Dex loved Emma – from the very beginning. It also made me sad that they wasted all of those years.
- Emma. She reminded me a lot of myself. She had a certain insecurity that made her relatable. She wasn’t perfect and she tolerated Dex for FAR too long and loved him more than he deserved, but that made her human.
- Dex’s parents. Loved them – especially his dad.
What I disliked:
- Dex… for MOST of the book. I initially got the allure. The great looks guy, with a great personality — with SO much more underneath. But as drifted further and further into asshole land, I just couldn’t tolerate him.
- Two words: Emma dying. Seriously? SHE HAD TO DIE? Why did it have to be her? And what? This is the point in the book where I stopped caring. I wanted to throw my Nook.
- I wasn’t a fan of Ian (although the note he sent Dex was nice — and fitting) and didn’t get why Emma was with him for so long. Oh, and the principal she had an affair with. I really think Emma had bad taste in men!
- I didn’t really understand the point of introducing Jasmine. I don’t think becoming a dad made Dex a better person. I think Dex’s wife having an affair made him wake up.
Did you like the book? (or movie) Most of it. I could have done with the chapters after her death. They seemed unnecessary.
What was your favorite part? Definitely the end. The kiss – and the way that Dex chased after Emma.
Did you relate to the characters? In some ways – especially because they met at “Uni.”
Why do you think Dex was the way he was? I have NO idea. I feel like he was raised right and deep down had morals/values. He just made really stupid decisions.
Did you “get” Emma and Dex? Yes. But not until that last chapter. In some ways, I wish that was the first chapter because I would understand them a little more, but reading that at the end also gave me peace with the book.
If you picked one day in your life to review every year — which day would it be? The hubby said he would pick a holiday. I would pick an obscure day — maybe some day in the spring.
Now your turn. What did you think?