Dumb, Crazy, or Amazing?

I wasn’t going to write tonight, but my hubby just read this story aloud to me.

Woman Gives Birth After Marathon

Really?

I’m all for running and racing when pregnant – but a FULL marathon at 39 weeks when it was as warm as it was?? I’m truly glad that the mom and baby ended up OK!

So what do you think? Dumb or crazy? Or is she amazing? I think a little of all three! She had her Dr’s permission. So she says.

Comments

• Michelle says

Oh, I was that crazy women. I was 8 days overdue with L and I would have done ANYTHING to get her out. I just don’t think that running a marathon THAT pregnant is safe. Plus, I can’t imagine it feels good. Yowsers.

Her doctor gave her the okay so it was safe for her. And there’s no problem for her and the baby.

I don’t think running a marathon sound fun at all right now so I think y’all running them are nuts. I think it’s a matter of perspective and what is safe for her with her doctor.
        Cynthia (It All Changes) recently posted..Banana Ginger Muffins

Since she had been running throughout her pregnancy up until that point & had the A-OK from her doctor to run the first half and walk the second half I say she’s AMAZING! I think her finish time shows that she didn’t push herself too hard and risk putting herself or her baby at risk. I can only hope that I can continue to run/workout regularly whenever I (hopefully someday) get pregnant, and this woman is another example that it IS possible as long as you listen to your body and your physician!
    Theresa @ActiveEggplant.com recently posted..Just a Random Tuesday

• Michelle says

I think it IS possible and I’m all for running when pregnant (and I think it was SO inspiration when Cate from Cate’s World Kitchen ran Boston at 20 weeks), but a marathon at 39 week seems very risky and dangerous to me. AND painful!! Ha ha.

I did spin and worked out up the day before my kids were born and was super healthy – but even I ended up taking non-stress tests because L’s heart rate was high (and during labor I was given oxygen for the same reason). There’s just too much that can go wrong when the baby is that big and the placenta is starting to deteriorate. Guess I’m just NOT a risk taker :)

I do think it’s amazing that she did it and that the baby was born that night!

I’m totally not a risk taker either – so if I was experiencing things like the baby’s heart rate being too high I would definitely NOT do anything taxing like this woman did. (Hell, the chances of me attempting another marathon to begin with are pretty slim!)

But if a woman is able to work out comfortably (whether running, walking, spinning, swimming, yoga-ing or whaterver)and it’s not raising any red flags with the baby, and her doctor knows about it, I say keep on keeping on.

For some reason, I don’t think I’ll ride a bike while pregnant – even though I love cycling and feel like I ride smartly and safely, I feel like there’s just SO much more that can go wrong on a bike. Like, I know I could get hit by a car or fall while running – but the chances seems so much higher with cycling! (I’m talking road/trail cycling here…spinning is still safe in my book!)
        Theresa @ActiveEggplant.com recently posted..Just a Random Tuesday

• Kate says

I had to add more…

It’s one thing to stay in shape/continue to be active while pregnant. It’s quite another to risk the life of your baby doing something that is absolutely unnecessary.

I bet these comments would be a LOT different if something had happened to the baby (or mom).

I don’t know. At first I thought it was crazy, but after reading the article it seems a little less crazy. She did take it super slow. But still, 26.2 seems a bit aggressive. I guess we have to ask ourselves WWSD? What Would Sacajawea Do?
    Alecia recently posted..Chicago while it’s fresh

• Michelle says

LMAO. You crack me up.

I think Sacajawea would say – “Are we chasing shit or being chased? No? OK, I’m going to sit and relax and enjoy these last few days of being child free.”

I’m torn between all three: a bit dumb, crazy, and amazing. I’m 26 weeks pregnant and was registered for the race, but my intuition told me that actually running it would be a big ball of uncomfortable and potentially unsafe. Plus, my doctor only cleared me to run up to a half marathon, and to be honest, I’m not even sure I’d be able to hang with that right now.

On the other hand, I have to give her props for completing the race and proving that pregnant women aren’t disabled – we just take longer to get it done!

I’m with everyone else – I agree that it’s amazing, but is it necessary? However, I like your point that she proves pregnant women aren’t disabled or a that pregnancy is not a disease that doctors need to manage.
      Maggie recently posted..That In-between Feeling

4. Holly says

I mean granted she could have been trampled or fell over and injured the unborn baby — but that could happen ANYWHERE. Was she putting herself at any more risk by running than she is by say driving in her car daily?

I doubt anyone would say a peep if she was driving to the store while 39 weeks preg, although the risk of injury would probably be greater!

I find no risk in the actual physical toll of running for this woman considering she had her doctor’s backing. I am only looking at outside factors.
    Holly recently posted..Last Days of Summer

• Michelle says

The risk of injury TO HER would be greater in the car – but not necessarily during a race. The fact that it was SO warm and she was in active labor for half of the race is insane and I’m sorry – but she was NOT thinking about the well being of her baby. I’ll continue to say that it’s amazing that she finished, but I hope this doesn’t become a new trend.

I don’t know what I think. I’ve never been in her shoes, so it’s hard for me to pass judgment, but man, that must have been a long day giving birth AND running a marathon. Holy crap. “What did you do today?” “Oh, nothing much. Just ran a marathon and birthed my first child. No biggie.”

I’m SO GLAD to hear you say this. I’m not really a runner, so I thought that may have clouded my judgment on this. I’m like you — to me, it’s just not worth the risk. But I think I took that advice to the extreme. I didn’t drink my whole pregnancy (even though I know it’s fine and I really have no issues w/ others who have an occasional glass of wine) and I quit caffeine (again, even though I knew it would have been fine). To me, those things just didn’t seem worth even the potential for a risk.

I’m all for staying active right up until the bitter end, but this just seems to be pushing it to me. First off, how did she have the balance to stay upright for more than 6 hours? Even taking it slow, that is a long-ass time to be on your feet and moving forward.

But again, major props to her but I just can’t imagine taking the risk, no matter how small that may have been. She has a lifetime to run marathons but only one (or possibly a couple more) shots at bringing a baby into the world.
    Jackie @ MomJovi recently posted..Our First Pass at Food and Wine

7. d.a.r. says

Is it doable? Obviously. Is it riskier than I am willing to be? Yup. Running a marathon is just so stressful on your body. Not something I am willing to do. I’m planning on staying active up until the end of this pregnancy, but that is just not a risk I am willing to take.

• Michelle says

Yes – exactly! I don’t know – I have a SUPER laid back OB/Gyn and I don’t even think HE would have granted me permission at 39 weeks. 30 weeks? Yes. Just not so close to the due date. I also think if she was elite it would be a different story – but even Kara Goucher took a break from racing.

I don’t know why this bothers me – I guess it worked for her. I just hope people don’t get any ridiculous ideas from it!

I never made it to 39 weeks with either kid but I was too exhausted to even walk around the block much less run 26.2 miles. Damn, I was a lazy pregnant woman.

That being said, I don’t know if I would run any marathon at any point in pregnancy… so if you ever see me have a huge drop in running then you’ll know… wait, no, that’s not happening now. I’m not pregnant now.
    Tara @ texasrunnergirl.com recently posted..Let her eat cake….