As I said previously said in my 2 second review of Marvel’s The Avenger’s — I loved it.
I say this as someone who is so NOT a fangirl of superhero movies. In fact, I am almost ashamed to admit that prior to this movie out of all of the superheroes features in this movie – I had only seen Iron Man. Not Iron Man 2, not Thor, not any of the Hulk movies or even Captain America. As an older sister to two brothers I DID grow up with superheroes, but Superman was the main focus in my house. I can pretty much quote Superman I, II, and III.
Going into this movie I knew who the characters were (umm kinda — Hawkeye who?) and that’s it. I couldn’t even remember the plot of Iron Man (truthfully, I still can’t) and I still thought it was awesome.
What made it awesome? Well, I won’t lie, it wasn’t the plot. I mean, this IS a superhero movie. Is the plot important?? The basics?? (don’t worry – no major spoilers!) In bullets:
- Loki is Thor’s adopted brother (apparently this is a recent development) and he is pissy. Also, they talk to each other in iambic pentameter. Seriously.
- There’s this thing called the Tesseract that they MIGHT have introduced in the Captain America movie (??) — they found it when they found him. It has something to do with sustainable energy and yada, yada, yada. It gets stolen.
- The Avengers are called together (mostly unwillingly) to get it back. Avengers = Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, The Hulk, Black Widow, and Hawkeye
- Loki pits the Avengers against each other. Hilarity and tons of fighting ensues.
- There’s a big battle at the end.
So again… what makes this movie awesome?
1. Joss Whedon. Now, I AM a Joss Whedon fangirl. I pink puffy heart Buffy, Angel, and Firefly (and of course, Serenity). I even watched Dollhouse (you can’t win everything). He is a genius. That is all.
2. Hot guys. Duh. Did I REALLY even have to tell you that?? While RDJ is this lady’s 2nd husband, and this lady has claim stakes in Mr. Renner (I am obviously to tall for him anyway) – I will declare my love for for Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and The Hulk (Mark Ruffalo).
I’ve always loved Mark Ruffalo (is he bad in ANYTHING??) and his Bruce Banner was just incredibly entertaining and well done (you know – for a superhero).
There’s not a lot of “the other guy” in the first part of the movie, but Ruffalo is so restrained. When the other guy comes out you are ready for him. And it is definitely one of my favorite parts of the movie. I have to say – I think the 3rd time was definitely a charm.
On the other hand, I REALLY did not get the lust over Chris Hemsworth. The long hair?? The v-neck shirts?? (sidenote: what is up with that??). Eh. Well ladies (and maybe a few guys?) now I get it.
I 100% times 100% get all of that Australian Thor goodness. Oh my. Look at those muscles. Ummm…Drool.
I really need to watch Thor. Like stat.
PS – Chris Evans is still up for grabs – he’s cute, but perhaps a little too all American for me? Or maybe it’s just that his waist is smaller than mine???
3. The Humor. Come for the action (which is really well done), but be prepared to laugh, clap, and cheer. Maybe it’s because we were at a sneak preview but the theater went nuts throughout the movie. And Agent Coulson totally killed it. (No, I don’t remember him from any other movies – but apparently he’s been in all of them) There is humor throughout – even when there is a whole lot of pummeling going on.
4. This movie made me like ScarJo.
Scarlett Johansson is not really my favorite actress (I think I have actually avoided movies because she has been in them). But she represented the estrogen well in this movie. She holds her own against the boys and has some kick ass fight scenes that even Buffy would be proud of.
5. Tom Hiddleston is a pretty creepy and subtly insane villain.
In a movie like this with huge superheroes and egos, the villian could be easily lost. But that SMILE. So creepy.
Now, let’s remember that he’s actually kinda cute in real life (I actually had no idea who he was before this movie – but he’s a redhead! I love redheads!)
6. There’s a secret scene during the middle of the credits. Stay for it. Nobody in our theater even dared to move because they expected it. Apparently, it did not disappoint because people in the theater all said, “OOOoooooo.” (Jackie Jovi and our husbands just looked at each other and went, ‘HUH?’ We got it later at home thanks to google – don’t worry.)
So, let’s recap: Action movie + Joss Whedon + hot guys + humor + top notch female representation + a creepy villian = Awesome.
Now, do I have to say it again? GO SEE IT!