Three Things Thursday

1. I feel like the school year just started – but report cards for the first quarter came home yesterday. How is that possible? The good news is that I feel like less of a failure of a parent this year. B’s teacher had nothing but nice things to say about him – including how great he is in class and how well he’s doing academically. Whew. This might be because we’ve threatened his free time if he makes us look bad (not really, but we will put his toys in a long extended time out) or because his teacher has been teaching for more than a year.  There are always areas to work on – but he’s 6, not 15 with an attitude problem. I’m very thankful!

B$$

One thing we didn’t know about (and thank goodness for this parent/teacher meetings) is that he has a hard time seeing the board – and he sits in the front of the classroom. So guess who has an appointment at Target Optical this weekend? I’m not surprised really. I’ve worn glasses since I was 9-10 (and now contacts) and I think Dan was even younger. It’s hereditary kid.

2. I went to another advanced screening of a movie last night  (I feel very spoiled lately!). This time it was for Lincoln – directed by Steven Spielberg starting Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field, Tommy Lee Jones, Joseph Gordon Levitt, and just about every male character actor from any TV show that you’ve watched in the last 5 years (seriously, the cast was amazing).

I’ll do a full review soon (it’s in Limited Release starting tomorrow and full release next Friday), but I will say I was surprised at how I enjoyed it and how much it made me reflect. I’m not surprised at how amazing Daniel Day-Lewis is in it. He full embodies Lincoln and his method acting is impeccable. He’s much prettier than Lincoln really was (especially in the eyes), but he looks SO much like him it’s truly eerie.

3.  I’m officially in the 2nd trimester now (there’s some “debate” on if the 1st trimester of pregnancy ends the 12th, 13th, or 14th week) and as if it’s right one schedule the cravings have started! As of right now, I am seriously craving lemons (especially lemon water) and salmon (which is REALLY weird because I normally don’t like salmon at all).

Fulfilling a serious craving.

Also exciting — it took three pregnancies, but I FINALLY found maternity jeans (and black pants!) that are long enough to wear without having to suffer from “low crotch syndrome.” The best part is that these pants (these from Motherhood Maternity) cost $35-40. I have several pants from the Gap (bought during previous pregnancies) that I can wear – but I have always had a hard time finding black dress pants and jeans. Why are they so hard to find??? Aren’t they a necessity? Plus, pants at Gap cost $70-80. Umm, no thanks!

Three Random Questions: If you were glasses – at what age did you start wearing them? Who’s your favorite all-time, never miss actor/actress? How much would pay for pants?

Comments

1. Meg M says

What is the deal with lemons?! The past couple of weeks I’ve been all over the lemon water too! I squirt so much lemon juice in my glasses of water, it’s ridiculous, but tastes so good! :)

My coworker asked me if lemons were on sale or something because I have a big bag of them sitting on my desk! I have never craved them before (that I can recall) so maybe it’s something to do with the season??? So funny you are loving them too!

Did Hit and Run come out on DVD already? We should watch it when it does!!

You SHOULD have gotten a discount on Pants. At least she’s cute… It was worth the money :)

I’ve been wearing glasses since the ripe old age of 3rd grade. I’d love to have LASIK someday…but my eyes get a little bit worse every year & my doctor won’t even let me take the “test” for eligibility until my prescription stops changing. My new “must see” actor? Tom Hardy. But Joseph Gordon Levitt is right up there! As for pants…I think $80 would be my limit…but only if they make me look totally hot. Otherwise I’m capping it at $40.
    Theresa recently posted..DC Staycation

Ugh – your prescription keeps changing? There’s a test? My eye Dr. said a few years ago I was the “perfect candidate” for LASIK. It will probably get it in the next 5 years. I don’t mind contacts for the most part – except when I travel.

I’m right there with you on the pants (although I have spent $90 on a pair of jeans, and they were worth it). I’m sure you run into the same length issue as me!

Your kids are so cute! I started wearing glasses in 1st grade. I now wear contacts though. I didn’t get contacts til I was a senior in high school though. I usually never miss a Jennifer Aniston movie.
    Ara recently posted..Turkey Day!

Thank you! I remember getting contacts when I was in 9th grade, but I was HORRIBLE about wearing them. At least disposable contacts are so much easier to take care of these days!

I don’t wear glasses, so can’t help you there.

I HATE HATE HATE the jeans I got from Motherhood. I stupidly splurged on a pair of maternity Joe’s jeans and they fall down all the f’ing time. Someone as short as me should not have bothered with full panel anything. They don’t stay up. I did get a pair of Maternal America black skinny jeans that I love to the point of obsession. Much more flattering too.
    Victoria @ Running Peanut recently posted..Baby Peanut: 35 and 36 Weeks

I don’t have many things from Motherhood because I hate their fit – so I was REALLY surprised that these worked! I now have more clothes than I need, but sadly I can’t stop shopping.

My eyes finally leveled off around 28. I haven’t had to get a new prescription since then! I read that pregnancy can change your eyesight and *knock on wood* it hasn’t yet. We’ll see :)