Five for Friday – Things Not to Say to an Overdue Pregnant Woman {Revisted}

Two years ago, I wrote this post

5Things

At the time, my coworker was very, very pregnant and I felt for her. To update, she ended up delivering her son a week late, after being induced (IS THIS CONTAGIOUS?? I only have a handful of friends who have gone into labor on their own).

This post is still fitting today, but I figured I would add five more tips to the list since I am experiencing them, once again. Please people, don’t say these things to your overdue friends.

1. Still no baby?

People have asked me this question to my face. Seriously. I don’t know if this is just an automatic response or if they don’t really mean to ask it in question form, but I promise you I didn’t have the baby and then put it back up there again. You can clearly see that I am still pregnant.

2. When will you have the baby?

Since I do have an induction date I can answer this with, “Hopefully no later than next Wednesday!”, but dude, your guess is as good as mine. I’m not a baby birth predictor and if it was REALLY up to me, I would have had this kid already.

3. Go into labor!

My Dr. has said this to me at the end of every appointment for the last 3 weeks. At first it was like, “OK – ha ha! I will!” and this week I just gave him the stare down. I think I scared him a little. Because it’s JUST THAT EASY.

4. You STILL don’t know what you’re having?

I actually find this question kind of funny, but I’ve heard it so often now it also makes me a little ragey. Nope, we opted not to find out and since the baby is still inside of me, we still don’t know.

5. You look like you’re carrying so high! That baby is never going to drop!

I know it looks like I am carrying the baby ridiculously high, but I promise you I am not. I have really long legs (I have a 35 inch inseam), a VERY short torso, and my hips are just really high. I actually feel like I look silly — like I am a walking belly — but the baby is not (and has never been) high.

me

Telling me this though makes me feel like there is something wrong with how the baby is positioned. And even know I KNOW it’s not true, a small part of me gets paranoid. Also, only first babies are known to “drop” early. My hips and pelvis are totally ready to give birth… if only the hormones would kick in!

So, now I have given you 10 nuggets of information regarding overdue pregnant women… and I guess what it boils down to this: don’t talk to us. OK, not really. You CAN talk to us — even ABOUT the pregnancy (I mean, it IS all we are thinking about), but try to make sure they aren’t dumb or obvious questions/statements. Better yet, tell us a joke or a funny story that gets our mind off the fact that there is a very small human sitting on our bladder and smushing our internal organs. I promise, I won’t even yell at you if you make me pee my pants.

Comments

Yes – they’re great! Although you never got to hear them. Bitch. Hee. (although, I think I would have FREAKED if mine came super early like yours did!)

Wow – graduation already?? This year flew!

1. Meg M. says

Love this blog post and totally agree with everything! I went way past my due date and those final couple of weeks I either wanted to punch people or cry. Another thing not to say to an overdue pregnant woman, especially if she is a stranger… dont ask her how dilated and effaced she is. Yeah, got that question in Whole Foods. Is your induction date next Wednesday, or earlier?

Lol. Someone actually asked you that?? What is wrong with people??? I did totally want to stalk you that last week, btw, but I also know how frustrating it is to NOT have the baby and have to answer 90000 people a day. So, I just hoped you post it on FB when he arrived.

I am going in Tuesday night for cerdavil and then they’ll start pitocin early Wed morning. *sigh* I do have an appt for acupressure and acupuncture tomorrow. I’m not expecting miracles, but fingers crossed that it does something.

We’ll have to get together once this kid is here so we can bond about having babies that don’t want to be born!

People have commented all along that I’m carrying high, until the other day when my neighbor said I look like I’m carrying pretty low. I’m pretty sure my belly hasn’t changed. I’m also pretty sure that with my short torso I could be carrying high and low at the same time. Seriously – there isn’t much room for her to go.

Also not helpful to tell a pregnant woman (at any point in pregnancy – I’m still weeks from my due date): “You look huge” or “That’s going to be one huge baby.” Again, I point to my short torso as the cause for this – without much room to expand vertically, the belly sticks out further. It’s actually measuring exactly on track, thankyouverymuch.

What is it about pregnancy that makes people lose their minds and ability to censor their comments?

So, when WILL you have your baby? HA kidding!
    Jen recently posted..The name game

EXACTLY on carrying high or low. While I’m surprised the baby hasn’t fallen out yet, there’s really no telling if he/she is high or low. It’s ALLLL baby! I can tell you that I don’t feel the baby in my ribs, but I do feel it in my crotch, lol.

It reminds me of Jerry Seinfeld’s book when he talked about how people can say the dumbest things and that life should be like a tv show where a director can yell ‘cut’ and say to the people that say dumb things ‘people, people think about what you are saying’

The classic one he used in the book for dumb things people say are ‘You look pregnant, are you?’ :)
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted..I’m back, baby, I’m back!

4. Angela says

I just found your blog while I’m up to pee/eat/have heartburn at a little over 38 weeks with baby three. :). I feel overdue since baby one came at 39 weeks and baby two came at 38.5 weeks…. I loved this post.
    Here’s the one I keep getting. It’s more of a look than a comment. I get told “you look ready to pop”, then asked my due date (a couple weeks away), then get the guilty eye slide, like they’re thinking “oh… She’s just really big…” :P