I’ve kind of lost track of what day it is… how is it possible that it’s already Memorial Day Weekend??
1. Things here have been pretty low key. I’ve mostly been sitting on the couch with a baby hanging off my boob. A few times this week I’ve managed to shower, get dressed, and put some makeup on. It’s the little things!
Evan is growing like a weed. I love seeing his little personality shine through, but I also don’t want this phase to go by so fast! This is probably all hormones talking, but it during this time I understand how the Duggars have 19 kids. Don’t worry, I will NOT be having 19 kids. Or anymore.
And because I will find any excuse to post pictures of him… here are the many expressions of Evan:
I’m just a little bit obsessed with him…
2. I went to lunch with Paula and a few other friends on Wednesday and she told me that when she comes to my blog she feels like I only have one kid these days. Rest assure, I have not given the other two away…
Although, I’m questioning this one. Anyone want a 4-year old?? (kidding.) Seriously though, she’s trying us hardcore.
They’ve (thankfully) just been busy with school, birthday parties, the park and fighting over getting to hold the baby…
We have also been getting lots of family walks in…
Saturday should be interesting because it will be the first time I’m with all three of them by myself. *Hold me*
People have asked me how they are doing with the baby and for the most part they are doing pretty good. B is really great with him and can hold him on his lap without assistance and L loves to wake him up and give him kisses. Truthfully, I’m impressed because he’s pretty boring right now. The important thing is that they both love him. It helps that Dan has really been focusing on them, while I focus on E.
3. You really forget about sleep deprivation with a newborn until you experience it again. Wow I’m tired. Evan actually isn’t too bad with sleep, so I can’t complain. He wakes up to eat every 2-2.5 hours (sometimes the first stretch will be 3-3.5 hours) and he goes back to sleep without a fuss. But a lack of sleep is still a lack of sleep. Especially since I went into this on a deficit. <–bad idea.
4. I really don’t look forward to menopause for one reason: HOT FLASHES.
I have been waking up in pools of sweat. You’d think that I’d remember this side effect of postpartum hormones, but I really don’t remember experiencing this before. It’s intense.
That said, while my hormones have definitely been all over the place, but I haven’t been experiencing the baby blues as hard as previously. Maybe it’s just part of that whole “easier recovery” thing. Whatever it is, I’ll take it!
5. I’m not planning on doing any kind of body after baby posts (although I might do some “return to running after baby” posts) — but I will share with you my one-week postpartum pictures – taken on Monday.
I have no shame in how scary I look here…
I’m not really sure how much weight I’ve lost, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I was only up about 10lbs, maybe less. Most of my pants fit (even though I’m living in leggings, Pjs, and dresses!) but none of my shirts do thanks to the my newly acquired girls. I’m pretty happy with how my body is bouncing back. I did wonder if it would be different this time because I’m older and the baby was definitely bigger (i.e., my skin was stretched out so much further!) – but it seems to be the same as the other two. I’d LIKE to think this is because I had a healthy and active pregnancy!
Overall, I feel really good, although every now and then I’ll have some more afterbirth pains (FOR THE LOVE when will they end??) so I know my body is still trying to get back to normal and I need to take it easy. It’s hard because I feel great most days and then my body gives me a little reminder that I truly did JUST have a baby!
6. Although I’m nowhere close to working out again, I am staging my return. My postpartum Dr. appt is scheduled for June 25th – which just happens to be the day before my birthday. Maybe I’ll get a little run in FOR my birthday?? I definitely need new shoes – so I’m eyeing another pair of Brooks PureConnect for weights/speed work and the new Mizuno Wave Sayonara (which don’t come out until July) for my long runs (when I get there!).
Despite the fact that the thought of running again terrifies me, I am ready to get back into it! It’s weird to think that at that point it will be almost 6 months since my last (real) run. That’s a long time!
8. So obviously things are really, really baby centric here, but I’m slowly making a return to “normal” — or at least trying to figure out what the “new normal” is! I can only hope Evan remains this calm (people tell me that 3rd babies usually are – anyone else find this to be true??) because he’s definitely making the transition easy so far (although I still wonder – where does my day go?).
9. Could I ramble on any more?
Since I probably won’t be posting again until later next week — I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day Weekend!