Feeling The Itch

Despite claiming that I’m going to sit on my ass for 6 weeks, I have the itch to work out. Who am I?

duh

Now, I’m not going to do anything crazy and I’m definitely not going to start running until I have clearance from my Dr. (I have no desire to be restitched or have my bladder prolapse any time soon), but I think I am going to be a total hypocrite and start walking a few miles a day and then add some upper body strength training later this week. I figure I am already lifting a) my 32lb 4-year old and b) a 30+lb car seat – so what’s the difference?

47603-Jon-Stewart-shake-weight-gif-OQhf

I’ve also started doing some planks to get that core back in shape (and by started I’ll add that I’ve been doing them for the past 2-3 days) — and I can already feel a big difference.  I would love to start lower body as well, but again with the stitches and whatnot. I hate to keep bring these up, but I admit that it scares to start running again again because of them. Well, that and the fear that I might pee myself or trip over my legs. Have I mentioned I’m clumsy? I almost fear learning how to run again – because yes, that’s really what I’ll be doing.

Feeling the itch to workout is kind of weird because most days I am beyond exhausted and can’t fathom doing anything more than sitting on the couch with the kid on my boob (no lie, how I spend roughly about 80% of my day), burning more calories than you could possibly imagine And I’m not even remotely interested in working out to get back into shape or lose weight. If anything, I just miss that adrenaline rush. I could definitely use a visit from the endorphin fairy.

I also miss having stuff to talk/blog about. I mean pictures like this are cute…

This is literally what I am looking at as I post this…

But it’s not the only dimension of my life – even though if feels like it right now.

Now the hard part, finding workouts that are POSTPARTUM friendly. As much I want to get back into a “normal” routine – I don’t want to throw myself into it and regret overdoing it. Anyone have any recommendations? I have the previous round of Best Body Bootcamp to start once I’m feeling more like myself again, but I’m totally not there yet.

So that’s where I’m at. And yes, feel free to also call me a crazy, loon, hypocrite in the comments, because I totally deserve it. Unless, I totally don’t follow through on any of this… which is highly likely at this point. In which case… carry on.

Comments

I say just start with walking, maybe there are some other moms to
    Meet up with in your neighborhood, the fresh air will help you
    Feel better;). Then add some light weights in at nap time, light weights!!!!!
    I remembering feeling the same as you do, I think I may have started running
    Again (probably not a great idea), but I needed to get out;-/.
    Good luck, have fun, and enjoy him as you know before long
    He will be all grown up and this time will be a blur

2. Dawn Martin says

omigosh…i am just catching up. Congratulations!! He is beautiful!!!! What a crazy birth story and I loved your post about a natural birth. Birthing babies just never goes quite as planned and I loved your perspective.

I totally feel your pain about being mentally ready for a good workout and I think some good walks are a great idea. I’ve heard some pretty bad stories about doing much more too soon post-partum, so be careful.

and I know I sound like a grandma, but I would have given anything for some more alone time with Emily (my third) so just take a deep breath and enjoy these few weeks b/c they are gone way too fast!

Congrats again.

Thank you!!

I think I’m going to start getting some walking in soon. It’s hard because it’s already so dang hot here!

And I am SOOOO thankful I have a lot of alone time with E. It really helps me transition and gives me a little sanity. I have to go back to work mid-July, but I am enjoying every second until then!! (I’m also taking Fridays off, which gives me a little extra time!)

Lifting Nia is considered a workout!! Ha ha.

I loooooove running and can’t wait to get back to it, but I’m surprised at how much more “centered” I feel when I fit in strength training too. I’m not sure how I am going to incorporate both this fall, but I’m hopeful that it will happen!

I can totally understand that. I don’t think walking or doing upper body workouts will hurt at all. I know the feeling of being worried about learning to run again. My first runs postpartum were honestly pretty fugly :). It will get better though.
    Kristen recently posted..Race Recap: Musical Madness 5K

4. Angie says

I started with walking. I had a c section and I couldn’t imagine waiting 8 weeks to exercise. I went for slow walks at first just to get fresh air before 5 weeks. Just 10-20 min at a time, but it wore me out. The dr gave me the to ahead for walking at 5 weeks as long as I didn’t push it. Of course I wanted to lose weight but at that point I just wanted to feel normal again. 8 months out and I’m still having a hard time losing this last 15 pounds. So frustrating!

I think it’s totally normal/reasonable to have the itch to workout. I’m sure it’s something like being injured (?) when you want to just get back to it! Maybe you can do calf raises for lower body??? You’ll have super toned calves ;) And, hey, I get the fear about not being able to run, but I’m sure you’ll get back to it. You have before–keep that in mind!
    Melissa recently posted..Decker’s Creek Half Marathon

I don’t have any advice, but I am feeling the itch myself and haven’t even had the baby yet! I think it’s the months of not being able to do much at all that are getting to me. I’ll be curious to read about your postpartum workouts. I’m planning to start walking as soon as I can but that’s about all I’ve thought through so far.
    Jen recently posted..38 weeks

I swear I feed my kids – but yes, L weighed in at 32lbs at her 4 year check up. Hard to believe that girl was once off the charts in weight!!

You know what’s sad? If you were a HLB blogger you would probably blog about how you were going to put her on a diet. (and I’m so glad you’re not!).

Yes, pictures are cute. :) I totally understand the desire to work out. I mean, there’s no need to go overboard with it, but sometimes just stretching and moving the body feels gooooood. Don’t go doin anything crazy mama. haha :)
    Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers recently posted..Extra Fruity WIAW