Welp, today I’m 35. Like every year I think HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? Time needs to slow down or something.

I have to admit, 34 was a great year. I didn’t accomplish any major life or fitness goals – but I had a lot of fun with my family and friends, discovered a few new things about myself, and had a baby…

IMG_4990

Group at Embassy Suites

photo

photo

OUCFinish

IMG_5538

IMG_5546

In case you're wondering where I'll be at 3:45am on Sunday... #wdwmarathon

IMG_5719

IMG_8200

michellemat (20 of 63)

1 (1 of 1)

IMG_5851

And then there were three. Life is good.

Yep, I feel like a human again!

I thought about waxing on poetically about how 35 feels different and what it all meaaaaaans, but truthfully 35 feels no different than 34, 30, or even 28. So instead, I’ll tell you how I’m celebrating…

It started yesterday, with a trip to the Dr. for a pelvic exam and my Tdap shot. Woo – talk about a party.

Can you see the bruise? OUCH. That mother hurts – I’m actually having a hard time lifting my arm up!

It sounds weird to kick off a birthday with a Dr. appointment, but I also go the go ahead to start running. It didn’t look like my uterus was going to fall out after all.

Then I went to lunch with the person who started this whole “birth” thing in the first place, my mom.

Lunch with Nana.

Today, I enjoyed “sleeping in” (which means I snuggled with the babe until 8:30 in bed) and Starbucks coffee thanks to Dan!

Around 11 (after a frantic search for my workout hats – I had forgotten where I had put them!), I laced up and headed up to the gym for my first postpartum run.

Waited on this for 5 months... Commence running.

The run went MUCH MUCH better than I expected and my uterus remained in tact! In fact, nothing hurt at all.

I mostly kept the pace at a 9:20 mile, taking a few walk breaks here and there – but I ramped it up a little at the end and run the last mile at an 8:00/mile pace. I know I could have kept going, but I didn’t want to push TOO hard. I have to say – it’s amazing how much easier it is to run when you aren’t lugging around a tiny human inside of you. Talk about perspective!

The best part was, of course, the endorphin high. I have seriously missed all of that adrenaline!

I’m now celebrating with a mimosa, while Evan naps.

By the way, there’s probably nothing better than the baby smushes and snuggles I’ve gotten from him today.

Tonight the celebration will continue with dinner at a Thai restaurant and Jeremiah’s for dessert with the rest of my crew. It’s a low key day, but I get to hang out with my favorite people, so I definitely can’t complain!

So, here’s to another birthday and a new running age bracket! I have a feeling, the best is yet to come :)

Comments

Happy Birthday! (I need to make sure I cover all the social media outlets with my Bday declarations.)

Nice job on the run and just…OMG, I almost forgot about our hand-holding picture. That HAD to have been your favorite part of being 34.
    Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..All the Movies

Thank you – I really have a hard time believing I am 35!! I figure if I keep pretending I’m not getting older, I won’t feel like it. So far I think it’s working.

I’m so happy your birthday wish came true & your uterus didn’t fall out…er…you were cleared to run again! I’m seriously impressed at your first run stats too–way to go! (And…I’ve said it before & I’m sure I’ll say it again many times…that baby gets cuter every stinking day!!)
    Theresa recently posted..Pregnancy Eats

I don’t expect all my runs to go that well, but I can’t complain about the first one.

I think E keeps getting cuter too – but I am biased! Can’t wait to meet your little guy – SO SOON!

Happy, happy, happy birthday!!! I wish I was drinking mimosas with you today. FRIDAY! Enjoy your day and night. As your older and wiser friend, here’s a newsflash: 36 won’t feel any different either. I can’t decide if I’m going to freak at 40 or not. We’ll see!

Happy birthday!
    Jackie @ MomJovi recently posted..DC Day 4: HOMERUN!

I figured 36 wouldn’t feel that different!! I think a part of me will freak when I’m 40 – so I’m going to have a really big party/vacation or something.

Sorry we didn’t get any drinks in – hopefully someday soon!

I don’t want him to lose his newbornish yet – but yeah – he totally is! Waaah! At least he’s sleeping longer, so I can’t complain about that!

I hope the running continues to be good – we’ll see though. Especially when I start running outside. Gah the humidity!

Thank you for the birthday wishes!! And yes on the run date. Maybe once I get back on my feet a little more (and I figure out this whole pumping/running thing) I’ll do a few miles with your group.

YES – this is exactly how I feel. I’m more tired than I used to be – and I can’t drink as much, but I guess that’s a small price to pay :)

4. Angie says

Happy birthday! What an amazing year you had. I’m glad your run went well, just the inspiration I need. Evan is so cute!

So glad that nothing fell out either! I’m very happy to be in a less competitive age group now. Maybe I should find some small races so I can place? Lol.

I’m sorry I’m so late, but happy belated!! LOVE all the pics!!! And great job on the run!!! I really feel like age is such a funny thing because I don’t feel any different than when I was 21 (minus being sleep-deprived from a baby instead of being at the bar til 2am). Make 35 a great year ;)
    char eats greens recently posted..CSA pickup: week two