E and Me {3 Months Postpartum}

I’m soooo late writing this post, but Evan is 3 months old!

IMG_6203

This last month was full of a lot of changes for Evan and I.  Mostly because I went back to work and the days of “sleeping in” are over. He goes to daycare 3 days a week, is home with Dan for one day, and me for one day. So far, he’s taken this change like a champ.

IMG_6195

Not surprised, he has taken to most things like a champ.

Weight/Height – Totally guessing here, but I’d say he probably hit about 17-18lbs at 3 months and between 25-26 inches in length. He’s a big guy.

Working on a 3-month update (late). Love how this picture captures his always moving arms.

He also NEVER stops moving when he’s awake.

At 3 months he…

Sleep/Naps – He goes to bed around 8:30, wakes up once around 2:30, and then is typically up for the day around 7:30. This started around the time I went to back to work and while it’s not the case EVERY night, it’s what happens MOST nights. As for naps… well we’re still working on that. He’s a catnapper and will sleep for an hour every 1.5-2 hours all day long. He is STARTING to consolidate daytime sleep, but he’s definitely not there yet. He still sleeps swaddled in the Rock n Play Sleeper in our room at night… and while he’s home during the day. He will also still sleep on me. *love*

Eats – He’s definitely had some kind of growth spurt the last few weeks. He eats longer BUT he also go longer between feedings. He used to eat every 1-2 hours and now he’s every 2-4 during the day. He’s still exclusively breastfed and will be until about 6 months – when I introduce solids (unless he shows interest earlier – so far he’s content with mama’s milk).

Milestones – Blowing bubbles, giggling/laughing, finding his hands, shoving his hands into his mouth, rolling over to his side (thankfully NOT all the way -yet) and grabbing at his toys

Likes – Himself (in the mirror), most people, ceiling fans, his bath, his car seat, his play mat, swaddling (he smiles at me the entire time I am swaddling him – it’s bizarre), mama’s milk, Fridays, his chicken

Dislikes – Getting out of the bath, being woken up

Yep, Evan continues to be our easy, roll-with-the-punches, little (big) guy. He is full of smiles and is really just a joyful baby. He loves the attention, but I can also put him down and he is content “playing” by himself. He has his fussy times, but they are pretty rare. In fact, E’s daycare provider said he was “80% easier than Livie.”  And I thought SHE was an easy baby!

IMG_6163

IMG_6160

IMG_6201

IMG_6204

As for me… Here come the postpartum pictures…

3 Months PP

Compared to last month, I’m a little smaller all over. I’m still feeling soft and smushy in the belly area – but I feel stronger in my arms, shoulders, and legs.

I think the biggest change I can see in the comparison pictures is in my back. Of course, it doesn’t help that I’m wearing different shorts.

Here are months 1 and 2…

2monpp

1mpp_crl

Emotionally: Oh boy, I have been a mess…as you all know. Thankfully things have calmed down and things are starting to feel more routine and normal. Month 3 was definitely my hardest month. I think the lack of sleep and the feeling like I had to get it all done, all the time got the best of me. Lesson learned.

Physically: I weighed in at a Dr’s appointment a few weeks ago and I’m now down a few pounds. I now weigh less than pre-pregnancy. I can tell in my pants as they are all a little too big (but of course NONE of my shirts/dresses fit!). I expect to lose a few more pounds in the next 9 months, but don’t worry I will gain it all back when I stop pumping :). Thanks to my wonderful hormones, I have started losing my hair (I already have a few bald spots) and have been bruising VERY easily. I need to be better about taking my prenatal vitamins – I’m SURE that it has something something to do with it.

Fitness/Running: I have to admit, working out has gotten harder now that I’ve returned to work. I am still trying to squeeze some workouts in at least 2-3 times a week though. I plan on doing a whole post on running, but it’s going slow. I have managed to hit 5 miles, but at this point I have no idea how I’m going to run a half marathon again, let alone a FAST half marathon.

So to sum it up… Evan is cute, I was (am?) stressed…but in the end, it’s all good and we’re figuring out what works for us. One thing is CERTAIN: I love this little guy and cannot imagine him NOT being a part of our family. He is  one sweet little dude.

Comments

1. Angie says

Evan is adorable and getting so big. At my boy’s 10 month check up last night he just reached 18.2 pounds. He’s just in the small size which is weird considering his dad is 6’4″. Losing my hair was the worst part but as soon as I was done breastfeeding it stopped I think around 3 months I felt better and a routine started to happen. I can’t imagine the adjustment with 2 older ones!

I would not be surprised if he has a big growth spurt around age 2. That’s typically when they either slow down/speed up their growth!!

Losing my hair is so gross. I gets so thin, I feel lucky that I have such thick hair because I’m pretty sure I would be bald otherwise!!

I truly don’t know how people do the whole 2 under 2 or 3 under 4 thing. Spacing them out has made it easier for sure!!

You are doing awesome as a mama of 3! I know it’s been a bit of an adjustment going back to work, but I am continually impressed by you! I admire the heck out of you, lady!

You are the sweetest! I think 80% of my sanity (which is pretty limited) is thanks to Dan.

BTW – I realized today that I need more updates on your life. I might have to start emailing you. Lol.

Evan is so stinking cute! I like seeing these updates so I have some idea of what to expect as far as his development. (I know that the doctors say “should” happen at certain times, but it’s neat to see another baby going through it just a couple months ahead of Andrew.) I’m also glad you are feeling better. I seriously don’t know how you do it with 3 other kids…I can barely handle just a newborn!
    Theresa recently posted..A Long Time To Miss Someone

I don’t know if it makes you feel any better, but the first baby was definitely the hardest adjustment for me! Becoming a mom for the first time totally blew me away. Now the other two are very self sufficient (even if Livie pretends like she’s not!) so that helps.

And yes, it’s always fun to see what your in for! Although, our boys are so close in age they might actually we doing stuff at the same time.

Oh my goodness, he is so cute! My girl turns 4 months on September 1. I’m feeling the same way you are I think- with an almost 6 year old and almost 3 year old. And everyone wants my attention. But you’re doing GREAT! And you look GREAT! Good job!

We are SO in the same boat. It’s getting better, but damn it is hard. And it’s not always the kids. Mostly it’s just me. But thank you – I feel pretty good most of the time. Although, truthfully I’m just happy when I get more than 5 hours of sleep!

As I’ve told you time and time again, I bow down to you. I’m at my breaking point and I only have one. As you know, last week kicked my butt and it was just kindergarten starting! You’re doing awesome and I just know it’s going to get easier and easier … well, until you have three teenagers! :)

So glad I got to hang with the little (big) guy last night. Clearly he missed me and I need to see him sooner next time!

And you’re pretty much the bravest person I know for doing these posts. Your 3-month postpartum body kicks my 5-year postpartum body’s ass! :)
    Jackie @ MomJovi recently posted..What No One Tells You About Starting Kindergarten

I know you think I’m crazy, but I do think in a lot of ways having one is a lot more work — sometimes. There’s that whole “entertainment” factor that I built in. I just tell them to go play with each other and while most of the time it turns into fighting, it at least keeps them occupied! It’s harder when there’s just one!

So glad we got to hang out too. He’ll see you in about 6 weeks :) Lol.

I feel like an idiot doing these posts (and I’m pretty sure I vowed I would never do them)…but at the same time I am intrigued at the progress.

Well, Dan has Wednesdays off because he works Saturdays (he works retail, so he has to work on Saturday) – however for me I new that my work had a flexible work schedule and that they were open to people working a 32 hour work week. Anything above 30 hours is full time still, so I still get my benefits – although vacation/sick time is less – as is my salary. I talked to my boss about maternity leave and about coming back and mentioned that I wanted to take Fridays off for a little bit. She was very receptive (it helps that she worked a modified schedule when her daughter was a baby!). I feel like people are more welcoming than you would expect about having a baby (especially if they have kids) – so it really NEVER hurts to ask! I love my job and my salary, but time alone with my baby will always trump both of those things!

6. Maryellen says

You look absolutely beautiful..E is such an adorable little boy! Keep up whatever you are doing..things do fall in place. Love to you and B, L and E!!

They are definitely getting easier – at least being at work is getting easier!

The hair.. it’s just so gross! I usually shed until about 9 months postpartum, so it’s just beginning. You’ll see my little wispys soon. Lol.

I am really trying with the vitamins. Turns out when you don’t have a baby living inside of you, you easily forget to take them!

Nothing beats a cute and easy baby. I wish cute and easy babies on everyone I know pregnant right now :)

You’re doing great! I have an almost 6 month old, so I can totally relate. I can’t believe he’s sleeping that well at 3 months. Aiden still doesn’t sleep that well. We also had him in the rock n’ play in our room until about 4 months and then had to transition him into the crib because he was rolling over and just huge for it! It’s hard to find time to workout with everything going on. I’m still having random aches and pains from delivering and being pregnant I think!

Thanks!

I am actually shocked about the sleep too. We’ll see if it holds up though! I feel like my oldest son didn’t really sleep through the night until he was 6 months and it my daughter made me wait until she was 13 months. TORTURE.
      I plan on switching him to the co-sleeper once he starts rolling and then we’ll see. I’m so not ready to move him to own room. He’s so the baby!!

The random aches and pains make it SO difficult to feel like I’m making any progress. They WILL go away though!

You look great! And I think it is impressive you’re already up to running 5 miles so soon! You’re a rockstar!

& Evan is adorable! I hope my baby boy is as easy going as E sounds! I laughed out loud when you said he likes “himself.” My dogs sometimes sit in front of the mirror and watch themselves for a while. It is hilarious!

Maybe next year we will meet up at a half marathon post baby and bust out PRs! ;)
    Ashley@cupcakesncrunches recently posted..Little Things I’m Loving

Thanks mama :)

Lol to your dogs. Babies are just like that. It’s so cute when they start interacting too because until they are about a year they have no idea that it’s actually them in the mirror. I have the cutest video of Braeden waving at himself when he was about 6-7 months old. One of my favorites!

And YES to meeting up and PRing.

You look great! And Evan is adorable! I cannot believe how big he’s getting. Running is so different after having a baby. I still don’t feel nearly back to my old running self 8 months later. I’m sure you’ll be able to run your half marathon! The speed thing may be tough though. I know I’ve had a heck of a time trying to get my speed back. I’ve been told I can at least partially blame breastfeeding for that though :).
    Kristen recently posted..Vacation and back to school

Thanks! Evan needs to stop growing though. He’s too big!

I only started running after having Livie, but I was so at a different stage with her – so I agree. Your body is just never the same after EACH kid.

You and I WILL get our speed back though!! And I do think breastfeeding has something to do with it. It just sucked the energy out of you. I had cut down to BFing just 2-3 times a day when I started running and it makes a huge difference.