A Day In My Life

I kind of love “a day in the life” posts because it’s kind of like people watching. You get a sneak peak into someone’s day. It’s also intriguing to me how people manage their time. I try NOT to judge, because here’s a spoiler: I don’t manage mine well. And also, yesterday was a HORRIBLE day.

So here’s my day. I picked a day that was relatively typical — a Tuesday. Monday’s are crazier (somehow) and Wednesdays and Fridays are a little easier. People frequently ask me — how am I “doing it” and the answer to that is “not very well.”

2:30 – E wakes up and eats. He’s still in the Rock n Play Sleeper next to me, so this just involves me rolling out of bed, feeding, him, and then wrapping him up again.

2:45 – Back to sleep

6:30 – Coldplay’s “Clocks” is playing (I think that’s a very fitting wake up song, no?). Damn that’s my alarm. I’m dead to the world, so getting out of bed takes a few minutes. I’m also careful not to wake up E. Dan takes a pillow and throws it over his head.

6:35-6:45 – Shower. Confession: Some days I don’t shower or sometimes I shower, but I don’t wash my hair. It’s very dependent on what time I get out of bed and if I showered the night before. Today there was no choice.

6:45-7:00 – I put on makeup and pick out clothes. Throw a shirt into the dryer. Have I mentioned I don’t iron? I don’t have time for that. Thankfully, most of my clothes do not require ironing.

7:00 – 7:15 – I feed E and change his diaper. By this time Dan has rolled out of bed, gotten B & L up and served breakfast (cereal and milk), and jumped in the shower. I listen to the kids bicker about absolutely nothing (this is a innate gift that children have).


Arguing about who can eat the fastest. FYI – IT’S NEITHER.

7:15-7:30 – I make coffee and pump. Not at the same time. E is playing on his gym mat while the kids are supposed to be getting dressed. They are fully capable of getting dressed on their own (minus Livie and her broken arm), but they pretend they can’t. They also say “I can’t a lot. It takes a lot of effort to not start yelling. Finally, they are clothed with freshly brushed teeth (also a struggle). During this time Dan has gotten dressed, has dressed E (I usually pick out his clothes the night before), and he has made B’s lunch. After I finish pumping I put it in a bag for his daycare provider and wash the pump parts.



7:30 – 7:40 – I do L’s hair (she likes it up – so I’ve been doing a bun/braid on top of her head), finish getting dressed, then say goodbye to Dan and L. He drops her off at PreK, while I am in charge of B and E.




7:40-7:55 – Help B write in his daily writing log and then convince him to keep reading his book. Most days he’ll read without coaxing. Today is not one of those days. After my pep talk I bring E with me to my bathroom to do my hair. As I’m putting him into his bouncer, he spits up all over my shirt. Awesome. Finish my hair (I decide to go “curly” for the day) and decide that the shirt is NOT salvageable.



Woomp woomp

7:55 – 8:10 – Send B to the car with this backpack. Thankfully he’s able to buckle himself in. He also helps me out by opening the car doors! I get E into his car seat (after snuggling him for a few minutes), throw on a new shirt, and bring all of my crap to the car. Today is a light day — just my pump, fresh milk for daycare, my purse, lunch, extra clothes, and coffee. Yes, that’s light. I make a second trip back into the house for E. Once we are all settled in, we are on our way!



I have no time to take a good selfie.

8:15 – 8:20 – Pull into B’s school and wait in the drop off line. I find if I can leave the house at 8:08 or sooner I don’t have to wait in line and I’m able to drop him off at exactly 8:15 (when the doors to the school open). Today is not one of those days. Around 8:20 I finally get to the front and embarrass B by making him kiss me goodbye.



8:20-8:30 – Sit in traffic at the school trying not to lose my mind. Between 8:20-9:00 every day my blood pressure must go up significantly because the traffic I sit in is ridiculous. It’s a bad combination of people sitting through green lights (thanks Smart Phones!) and red lights not being timed. I’m pretty sure I could write a dissertation about it. But I won’t. By 8:30 I finally make it to E’s daycare and drop him off. Time to fight the REAL traffic.

8:30-8:55 – Traffic is surprisingly “light” today. The first hurdle is making it onto to SR 50 and I make it through on the first light today! Woo-hoo! I still sit on 50 for another 15 minutes, but you know, baby steps. And then I managed to make into the building by 8:55. Before 9 – woohoo! Those extra minutes really do make a difference.

8:55 – 11:15 – I get to work and immediately have to set up a 9:30 meeting. I’m in meeting from 9:30-11 and then I have to finish up a task for my PM. I also make breakfast (oatmeal with sun butter) and grab some (kinda gross) work coffee that I eat during my meetings.

11:15 – 11:35 – Time to pump. I usually try to pump at 10:30, but today that just wasn’t happening. I catch up on email, social media, and blogs while I pump. After I’m done I store my milk and clean the pump parts.


11:35 – 12:15 – I’m in the middle of transitioning to a new project (with a new job role and responsibilities) and transitioning off my old project. So my work is bouncing back and forth between projects and people. I’m also trying to bring a new employee up to speed on my new project – which is interesting because I’m still not 100% on the project.

12:15-12:40 – Eat lunch at my desk while catching up with my coworker. I’m starving, so eating takes about 10 minutes.


Remember – I’m not a food blogger. Nor do I remember to take pictures WHILE I am eating. Ever.

12:40 – 1:30 – Back to multitasking.


1:30 – 2:45 – Attend leads meeting for my new project. I mostly just act like I know what I’m doing. I’ll know more in a couple of weeks.

2:45 – 3:00 – Answer a new coworker’s questions and then remember I need to pump. Blerg.

3:00 – 3:20 – Find space to pump. I currently sit in a cube so I have to find an office I can sneak into. Pump for 12 minutes. I’m trying pump just 3 times a day, instead of 4 — and so far, so good. I’m yielding a little less milk, but it’s worth it for some sanity. When I’m done, I again store the milk and clean my parts… and then it’s back to work.

3:30 – 5 – Finish up the work day. Socialize with coworkers. Eat a random snack of fruit and yogurt. Pack up and head home!

5:10 – Doh! It’s raining outside and my umbrella is in the car. Of course. I stand by the door trying to figure out what I should do. I finally decide to make a run for it. I get in the car and then realize that I left my phone on my desk. Awesome. I run up and get it AND then head home.

5:15-5:45 – Fight traffic. It’s not too bad, but it’s slow once I hit SR 50. Again. I text Dan to let him know that I might not make it to get B by 6.

5:45 – 5:50 – Get Evan from daycare. When I get back in the car I see that I’ve missed a call from Dan. He’s stuck in traffic and he doesn’t think he’s going to make it to B in time. I have 10 minutes, so I haul ass.

5:52 – I haul so much ass that I get pulled over for running a red light. Yes, really. I can’t make this stuff up. I actually thought it was yellow, but the cop insisted it was red. He was unmarked and I didn’t see him – so what do I know. I was totally focused on making it to B’s school. He asked me where I was going and I tearily told him that I was trying to pick up my son by 6. He took my license and registration and then gave it back to me sans ticket. I’m not 100% sure if he was letting me off, or if I should expect a ticket in the mail. I’ll let you know. He lectured me and then told me that I should “Really consider making better arrangements if I was cutting it THIS to close to picking my kid up from school.” Yeah. Thanks, I TOTALLY needed that tidbit of advice from you.

5:59 – I make it to B’s school just as Dan walks up to get him (I texted him that I had gotten pulled over). I do a u-turn and head home — seriously considering bawling my eyes out.

6:05 – Make it home and play/snuggle/feed E. Man that little face makes it all better.

Evan sums up how we all feel this morning.

6:15 – Dan gets home with B and L and we talk about their day. I finish feeding E, pull myself together, and get the food out for dinner: mozzarella and tomato paninis.

6:25 – Give everyone kisses and head up to L’s school for 4K Curriculum Night. It starts at 6:30, so of course I get there late.

6:35 – 7:50 – Run into the school and get escorted to the classroom but the owner of L’s daycare/school (who I’ve known for 7 years now and love).  The teachers give an overview of the kid’s day — from 8:30 – 4. They really make the whole experience fun, but let me tell you – those kids are working hard! Halfway through the presentation Dan texts to say that E is hungry and should he give him a bottle. Sigh. Yes.

7:50 – 8:00 –  Stop by and talk to L’s teacher. She also taught B, so we go waaay back. She told me that L is sweet, and funny, and ridiculously smart — and a challenge. Of course. With B I kind of freaked out with this news, but I expect it with L. She is a challenge. I’m glad someone else has realized it too!!

8:05 – Go to leave the school and realize that it’s pouring outside. Again. This is laughable, right? The rain stops for about 3 minutes and I decide to go for it — which means I get caught in the rain halfway to my car.


Rain… you win.

8:10 – 9 – I get home FINALLY. The locos are all still awake and waiting for me. I have to admit, as crazy as they are – it’s the best part of my day. After about 10 minutes I put B and L to bed. They are up past their bedtime (they usually go to bed around 7:30-7:45) and go down without a fight. I jump in the shower (I am feeling SO GROSS after the rain) and when I get out I nurse E before he’s out for the night.



9:10 -10:30 – Pop some popcorn for dinner (I know, so healthy), catch up on some TV shows (Mom, Mindy Project Brooklyn Nine-Nine) and then head to bed. Honestly, the way this night was going I was tempted to crack open a bottle of wine, but it disrupts my sleep drinking it so late <–so old. So, I’ll have a glass tomorrow instead (with friends!).

10:30- 11:45 – I’m tired enough that I SHOULD go to sleep, but I end up reading in bed instead (I’m reading Commencement right now – in case you were wondering). E wakes up (normally he doesn’t), so I nurse him a little and then decide that it time to shut it down myself. Tomorrow is another (BETTER) day. At least I remembered to bring my umbrella…


  1. says

    Now I’m tired. I’m pretty sure you just convinced me to never have kids with this post.

    You forgot to mention how you email me and Kate about the horrible traffic. Surely that should have made the list.

    And LOL to you still eating oatmeal in your meetings. Everyone used to rag on you for that at the old place. ;-) I hope the bowl is as gigantic as they used to be.

    Also, popcorn for dinner? Really? After all that I’d be starving.
    Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Not So Magical Dining

    • says

      Lol. So what you’re saying is that this post is good birth control? I’ll take that as a compliment!

      I did forget to mention the emailing… and I forgot to mention when I wrote this post (mostly while I was watching TV). Yes I was starving after the popcorn, but too tired to make anything.

      And my oatmeal is actually smaller these days – and instant. It’s either that or I don’t eat. Lol.

  2. says

    Whew lady I am tired just reading this. I was thinking about writing about my life when I started to read your blog thinking that my life would be crazy but you may just win. I am not sure there is a win there. What the win is though is happiness. Our lives maybe crazy but they are full of happiness. :)
    Stephanie recently posted..Oh Where Oh Where is My Hair?

    • says

      Lol – it’s funny I saw your post yesterday (which I still need to comment on) as I was writing up my post. You wake up EARLY girl. That is some dedication!

      And you really don’t think you can fit anything more into your life— until you do. It makes those “easy” days (like today!) seem SO much easier. That’s for sure.

      And I’m definitely going to enjoy that wine. Ha.

    • says

      Yeah – that extra kid really adds a new layer of crazy! Lol. I wouldn’t give it up for the world though!! It’s funny when you don’t think you can fit anything else in — but then you do!!

    • says

      Oh yes, not a normal day! The mornings are pretty typical and stressful, but the nights are usually a little more laid back. However, if I miss that “leaving work window” things can easily go down hill!!

      I didn’t get the Officer’s name – I was just glad he didn’t keep me for a half hour to be honest.

  3. Melissa says

    Dude. There is a special place in hell for that cop. Good job not yelling at him. I might not’ve had the same level of control.

    My hat’s off to you, super mom! But for real. That is an awful lot of work. A+ for you!

    • says

      It like he was rubbing salt into my wounds. If anything I just wanted to laugh at him. If you could see the construction in our area you would agree!!

      I’m just glad that day is over. Today was MUCH better. And easier. And there was wine.

  4. julie16750 says

    And Monday’s are crazier than this day? Yowzers, I got tired just reading it! When do you find time to workout these days? I don’t think you can fit anything else in!

    • says

      Yes – on Monday’s Livie has dance and Braeden has baseball practice. We split up and don’t get home until close to 7! It’s a long day. I’m just glad that Braeden actually LIKES doing homework. It’s going to be a bitch when that changes.

      As for working out – I can usually squeeze in 1-2 runs during the week (around 8pm), Friday morning (for now – while I have the day off!) and then I’ll work out on Sat/Sun. It can be hard to squeeze them in BUT I NEED those workouts. They keep me sane!!

  5. Anouk says

    Just by thinking of what awaits you after you walk out of the house in the morning, I need a bed! You ARE a super mom and I loved this sneak peek post on your daily routine!

    • says

      Aww thank you! I definitely don’t feel super. Especially on days like Tuesday, but I wouldn’t get rid of the craziness for anything (I’m SURE you would agree!). The hardest part of my day is typically the morning. I hate being in a time crunch!

  6. Angie says

    I don’t judge you for not showering in the morning. Since I run after work I shower at night and it saves me about 20-30 minutes in the morning. With only 1 kid I see your schedule and it overwhelms me but I know you just make adjustments and it becomes your new routine. Your kids are adorable.

  7. says

    I posted something similar yesterday, though more general and with fewer children. :) I am exhausted reading this! I have no idea how you manage to stay up so late. I’m in bed by 9. Sounds like you have a crazy life but no doubt those adorable kiddos are worth every nutty second.
    Jen recently posted..Pumping at work

  8. says

    I’m so glad your blog was recommended to me over the weekend. I am currently 38 weeks pregant, and to be honest, this post was so insightful as to what I could expect once the little one is here. Can’t wait to keep reading more! :)
    Meghan recently posted..Life, Lately.

    • says

      Congrats on your baby-to-be!!! I do think a lot of my nuttiness is due to having 3 kids — BUT having a baby is definitely a rollercoaster (my first was my hardest – which may or may NOT be comforting – lol). Thanks for “stopping by”!!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Current ye@r *

CommentLuv badge