Marathon Talk

When I crossed the finish-line in Savannah 2 years ago (wow, has it really been that long?), I wasn’t DYING to run another marathon. I was disappointed in my marathon experience (mostly miles 20-24) and knew that I would run another one someday, just not right that second. Or year.

Screen shot 2011-11-07 at 8.37.39 PM

I also knew, for various reasons, that I wanted that second marathon to be Chicago.

Chicago

Not only is this lady from Chicago, but I’ve never been. Plus, I’ve heard the crowd support is like no other… and I definitely THRIVE on crowd support. Bonus — the whole family will be there. Yes, I want to drag all FIVE of us to Chicago. My kids need to see The Bean, right?

A glimpse of things to come. #trouble

Traveling with me when I’m almost 18 months old seems like an excellent idea. Bwhahahaha.

So, the plan was pitched. Chicago in 2014. This gave me time to get pregnant (check!) and have a baby (check check!). And maybe get some sleep (ummm… sure).

And then yesterday the race organizers made an announcement. The Chicago Marathon was going to be a lottery.

DANG.

And not just that… there is guaranteed entry for those who qualify (3:45 for women, 3:15 for men — which, in case you’re new here, that is not me) and those who have run the race 5 times in the past 10 years (also, not me). Nothing was said about how many lottery spots there would be (probably because they don’t know at this point). All I could think was — this going to be another NY marathon. AKA a race I will never get into, although not from a lack of trying.

Paula and I briefly discussed the likelihood that we would BOTH be chosen to run it — and realistically I think those chances are small. And also, I’m not that lucky.

However, I am determined. We aren’t going to let some lottery system determine what we can and can’t race together! Paula still might apply to run it — but I’m skipping that whole lottery business. Yeah, my heart is set. I’m running it for charity.

Charities

I haven’t decided which one quite yet, although there are a few at the top of my list. (Have you run for any of these charities? Let me know!)I actually feel a little relief with this decision and excitement. And while $1000 is a lot of money to raise, I think I can do it.

However, that’s not the end of the story. In “I might be crazy news” I also want to run a local(ish) marathon. I’m currently leaning towards either the Jacksonville Bank Marathon or Space Coast. Space Coast is the closest, but it’s notoriously warm in November because… well, it’s Florida.I guess Celebration could be on that list too — depending on how next weekend’s race goes.

Point is, I have big plans to run TWO marathons in the next 12 months. And while I’m not ready to talk goals and time — one of these marathons is going to be a PR. I also know that also one of these marathons is going include a picture just like this….

Maybe with even cuter throw-away sweatshirts.

So basically… I’m really excited about running for charity, running two marathons, and really just running. Lots of running. And also writing the word “marathong.” That never gets old.

Comments

1. Jaime says

I totally recommend the Jacksonville Bank Marathon!! I ran it this last year. It was my second marathon… And 50 minutes faster than my first! 20 min faster than my goal, and I had a fantastic time!!

I totally think you are sane for running two marathons in 12 months. Totally. Cough. ;)

But anyway …. I was on their website – are those 7 charities the only ones you can choose from?

I work very, very closely with Ronald McDonald House Charities at our hospital – they are TREMENDOUS. Their support all goes to the programs – if you want your money to make an impact – they’re a good choice. I can’t tell you what they’ve done to transform care at Floating Hospital for Children. Game changers, those fine folks.

Places like the Red Cross, while important, skim a lot off the top for administrative costs. Your money will be lost – and you’re going to run hard for that money.

Just my two cents! :)
    Erin recently posted..Friday

No – the ones listed below that are ones I can choose from as well. I think. Actually I’m not 100% sure.

RMHC is actually at the top of my list – so that’s great to know that they are legit. It’s actually one of my biggest concerns. I really don’t want to donate to some executive’s million dollar salary. I’d also like the charity to be kid/family-centric – so they certainly fit the bill there!

I have a feeling you are going to start running these Disney races soon. Then you’ll learn all about crazy race addiction :)

3. Stephanie says

Jac bank is a good race as far as flat course and usually great weather (this years monsoon aside) I’ve done it 4 times. But I will say being a smaller race, it has very little crowd support except for at the end, just letting you know since you mentioned that’s a factor for you. Space coast I’ve only done the half, and while there was a little more crowd support than Jax bank, it wasn’t to much. Not sure if any of that helps

Paula ran Jax Bank 2 years ago and said the same thing as you! I’m OK with not having crowd support, although it does hype me up. I’ve heard it’s a beautiful course though — so it’s tempting!

You need to throw caution to the wind and just sign up for one!! The marathon is a challenging distance, but there’s no doubt in my mind that you COULD do it (if you wanted).

4. Maryellen says

Well.. I hear the excitement..Im a witness to you exceeding your goals..but 2 Marathon’s?? yikes.. but I would love to come to Chicago with you to cheer you on!! You go girl…you make it sound so easy!! Love ya!!

oh wow 2 marathons in one year, you are much braver that I am. After I run one it takes me a full year to agree to do another. I would love to run Chicago also I think it would be amazing. The next marathon on my list is Big Sur 2015! Keeping my fingers crossed I can talk my husband into a week trip out to Cali!
    Melissa @My Peach Life recently posted..Miles of Thankfulness

Yeah – we’ll see how I really feel about running a second one. I was SO done with the whole marathon thing after my 1st that I know I couldn’t have run another one. This time I’m gunning for a shorter training schedule though – so I hope it helps!

I SO want to do that race too — but not this year. Maybe next year :) It’s definitely on my list along with Big Sur and Boston (which, I’m sure I will also be running for charity – but I’m OK with that — it’s my hometown!).

6. Melissa says

I like these goals. They are lofty, but not crazy. Although, isn’t your blog called “Crazy Running Legs?” Yeah . . . so . . .

I hadn’t heard about Chicago being a lottery! Sheez. That kinda bums me out. I like it when everyone gets to play, you know? Still, fundraising is a good thing so well done you.

I am still upset that Paula threw away the Mr. Darcy sweatshirt. I would be wearing that right now if I came across a gem like that at GoodWill.

Well, you haven’t heard my time goals yet so they could be crazy! (They’re not – lol)

I like it when everyone gets to play too. I know this is all because of their registration issues last year… but… it just doesn’t make sense to me.

I love that Mr. Darcy sweatshirt. I hope it’s keeping someone in Savannah warm RIGHT NOW.

I’ve heard the same about the Chicago Marathon, that it’s just AWESOME and the crowd support, etc. is amazing! Good luck to you!!! I want to do a marathon again soon too, but training for a marathon and a 1/2 Ironman at the same time sounds overwhelming.
    Ara recently posted..2014 Miles

Right now I’m leaning toward Ronald McDonald House Charities — they are such a great charity and do SO much for the families of sick kids. Have you heard anything about any of them? I’d love any input!!

I’ve heard wonderful things about Chicago too — I’m pumped!

Trackbacks