Postpartum Running – 9 Months

It’s incredibly hard for me to wrap my head around this, but Evan is 9 months old!

Not only is my baby sockless, but he's in a liquor store and excited to be surrounded by wine. Can you blame him? #winningatparenting

He also loves wine.

I’m pretty sure my pregnancy with him (which, was pretty damn quick) pales in comparison to how fast these past 9 months have flown.

Hey remember when I looked like I was going to topple over all the time?

So how am I doing with running?

Well, I’m not necessarily back in marathon running shape, BUT I’m definitely back.

Dancing Dean

I’m not trying to brag here (wait – when I say that, does it mean I am bragging??), but yeah I feel like I never took a running hiatus or had a baby. Woooo!

That said, it may sound cliche – but I truly believe that it takes 9 months for you to (mentally AND physically) prepare your body to have a baby, AND that it takes 9 months (at a MINIMUM) to truly feel like yourself again afterwards. There haven’t been any a-ha moments — no breakthroughs or life altering events. No, it’s just taken patience, work, and patience.

Jazz hands! (Thanks @hungryhealthymj for this photo!)

And jazz hands.

It also helps that Evan is now sleeping in his crib (HALLELUJAH!) and most nights he’s up once, if at all. (I wrote this last night – and of course, he was up twice)

It was so worth it to splurge on a video monitor this time around.

You know what this means? Morning running!

MorningRunning

Note the time.

I know it sounds crazy, but I have really missed waking up to run. Sure, it’s hard to get out of bed, but once I force myself to up, throw my shoes on, and head out the door — it’s worth it.

Right now, I’m aiming for 5 miles two times a week with a long run on Sundays – and I’m hoping to up it gradually before marathon training starts. This means I’m currently running between 15-20 miles a week and while it’s low, it’s more than I’ve been able to squeeze in for MORE than a year. So it’s something — AND it’s consistent.

I’m also trying to increase my treadmill tolerance. You crazy people who can run for miles and miles on a treadmill… I want to know your secrets!! So far I’m up to 6 miles.

Trying to build up my treadmill tolerance. I have a feeling I'll be putting a lot of miles on it for marathon training this summer.

Those were some LONG MILES.

Oh, and what was that… marathon training? Yes, Chicago IS happening (I signed on with a charity — more on that later) and I’m probably going to sign up for Space Coast this weekend, so get ready for posts where I complain about how hot it is and how much my body hurts. It’s coming. Get excited.

Before marathon training starts though I have at least two more races — Best Damn Race Orlando and the Winter Park Road Race 10K. I don’t have any goals for Best Damn Race – other than to take really awesome race photos (since I signed up early they are FREE!) and to have fun. I WOULD like to PR at the Winter Park Road Race though — and I think I can.

Now that I’m feeling back to my “old self” again… I’m not sure I’ll be doing anymore postpartum running updates. But who knows, maybe something will inspire me at around E’s first birthday. OMG, how is that less than 3 months away???

Comments

This post gives me hope! I am still struggling with feeling like myself again, but I am almost 3 months behind you :-). Some runs I will feel great and then others will feel like I haven’t run in years. My middle of the night pumping sessions are not helping any.

I will probably see you at both Best Damn Race and the Winter Park road race. My plan for Best Damn Race is survival. It may not be pretty.
    Heather recently posted..6 Months with Baby E

I honestly JUST started feeling like myself again at 6 months — and yeah, the middle of night pumping sessions definitely can’t be helping! I’m now down to 2 sessions a day – once a day during the weekend if I feel like it.

For a while I was focusing on time and I was getting SO frustrating, so now I’m just enjoying each run. I know I’ll have to incorporate speed/tempo runs into my training soon, but every other run will be easy.

That’s crazy when you think about his first bday looming…that means Shelby is right behind! How did this happen? I think since they are both sleeping through the night and maybe we’re no longer sleep deprived that it has a chance to sink in? It did fly by…

Congrats on all of your running accomplishments!

3. Jim says

Michelle or should i say long legs you are doing great keep it up so glad you are running in Mizunos they are the best stay well.

I love that face. It’s not weird that I want to eat him, right? Right.

So glad you’re back to feeling like yourself! I can’t imagine, but it’s truly amazing what the body can do. I love morning running, too. It’s kind of my favorite, which is not something I ever thought I’d say. I have a lukewarm/hate relationship with the treadmill. Things I do to make it suck less: cover up the display with a towel and only look at it on commercial breaks which leads to my other strategy of watching a show or several that entertains me. On the commercials, I try to up my speed or the incline just to mix it up a bit. The furthest I’ve done on the treadmill is 14, and I did all of those things and didn’t hate it, so there you go.

Also, you should get a Roll Recovery. It is my new favoritest thing and I carry it everywhere I go. Like, for real.

It’s not weird at all. I want to eat him up every day!

I am so getting one of those recovery things!! Looks amazing. And requires less coordination than foam rolling.

I’ve tried covering up the time and that works slightly. I can’t watch TV though – it gives me a headache because of where it’s located. I ran on a treadmill where the TV was directly in front of my face and it was such a better experience! #tallpeopleproblems

I have to do the treadmill right now whether I like it or not because I am NOT going out in that brutal cold and huge ass snowbanks!!!! Ugh, winter go die!!!! I zone out and run to Grey’s Anatomy or any other show that can make me go “OH, I’m already done a mile?! Yipee!”

I wish I could just roll out of bed in the morning and go run, but I don’t have a treadmill, so I would need to go to my mom’s wake everyone up there lol. Once the snow melts, I’ll be out there early too…but not your early. That’s far too early for me…right now haha!
    char eats greens recently posted..tempeh bacon for your valentine + a winner!

Ugh, I feel you on the treadmill thing! Last weekend I did my 8 mile run on the treadmill because of windy and rainy weather, and it was torture! As much as I hate the wind and rain, I kept thinking that maybe I should’ve just done it outside. It felt like an eternity!

So glad to hear you’re getting back in your running groove! Sleep does miracles!
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Bits & Pieces of Ashley: Quick & Easy Breakfasts

Sleep DOES miracles! How did you do 8 miles?? Did you get off for a little bit and then jump back on? I would love to run longer distances on the TM, but my brain just drops the mic and walks away after 6.