Base Building

Well, it’s official. I’m registered for the Chicago Marathon!!

Chicago

I guess I need to start working on my fundraising, huh? I’m hoping to do a BIG giveaway. I’m working on it — so stay tuned. In the meantime, if feel compelled to donate my fundraising cause, check out my page.

donationpage

I haven’t made any progress on picking a training plan since, I last posted about training — so I’m doing great there too, with the exception of having 4-5 running coaches that I need to get in touch with. Lol. I have moved from the “pre-planning planing phase” into the “planning phase” aka — I’m working on building my base.

“Since you’re already running half marathons, don’t you already have a base?” <–asked by my imaginary friends

Wellll, not exactly.

I’ve found that after running continuously for a few years, that for the last 6 months I’ve been able to get away with running 10-15 miles a week (sometimes less) – and still successfully race. I don’t necessary think this is the BEST strategy, although I do think pairing it with crossing-training/strength training HAS helped me avoid injury and get back into postpartum shape. However, there’s no way I can just jump into marathon training this summer keeping up this schedule. Especially because I DON’T plan on doing a 20-week marathon training schedule. Because I was so burned out last time, I’m aiming for 14 weeks.

So my plan? From now until the first weekend in July (when training officially will kick off!), I want to slowly build my mileage until I’m running between 20-25 miles per week. I’m now averaging about 10-15 miles and I’m not going to lie, I’m STRUGGLING to get in those miles (stupid time change).

I kicked off my pre-training training by running 10 miles today.

Let the base building begin! #chimarathon

It was probably the easiest run I’ve done in months. There was no pressure to race. There was little wind and while it was a little humid, I went early enough that it didn’t matter. This is shocking, but I barely even looked at my Garmin! I really needed a run like that to clear my thoughts, reset my brain, and just love the long run. It’s a great way to start off because in about 5 months from now I’m going to need a reminder on why I LOVE the long run.

Now that I’ve kicked it off, the biggest challenge will be sticking with it. Hitting at least 20 miles a week means at least 3 days of running… which I have not been doing, because… excuses. So my first hurdle is getting out there and logging those miles.

Basically, I need to do this…

getoffyourass

The next hurdle will be actually enjoying those miles AND keeping up with my strength training. I’d like to squeeze in two strength workouts a week, but is that too much?

The third challenge will actually be training for this marathon. Running a 10-miler by myself on Sunday morning? No big deal. Full-blown training while working, taking care of three kids, and trying (key word) to maintain a clean house AND my sanity? Yeah, that’s a different story.

barneyheadexplodes

I’ll report back…

Do you build a base or just jump right in? Be honest, do you think I’m insane? I can do this, right? Let the running rambling begin!!

Comments

If you’re insane, I’m even MORE insane. I’ve kind of fallen off the wagon because my boyfriend & I have custody of his 2 kids & so now I don’t have as much time as I used to. With that being said, I signed up for a half Ironman distance race in early Sept & 4 weeks later I’m doing my third full marathon.

I think building a base is a good thing. I think it lessens the chance of injury & helps your body realize exactly what you’re doing. I’m sure you’ll do great! Keep up the great work.
    Ara recently posted..Freddie Is Ready

Lol, we might be in the same insane place in October! At the same time, dealing with kids and all — it’s a great way to destress and disconnect from their drama. I would probably be more insane without it! Good luck with your training :)

Whoop! Good luck!
    I don’t do a base, I just jump right in. Which is probably why one thing or another is always injured. ;)
    Emily recently posted..I

Exciting! Good luck with training. Maybe the long runs will be appreciated baby-free/stress-free/chaos-free quiet time for mommy. That’s how I’ve been viewing my runs lately… though I top out at about 4 miles. ha. Marathoner I am certainly not! :)
    Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers recently posted..I Registered

Hey — you’ve gotta start somewhere!! I was in your shoes not long ago. Four miles felt SO FAR. And yes, I will enjoy those child-free miles. I know that some people appreciate and have the patience to run with their kids, but that is not me.

Yes, we can do it! The biggest challenge I found with my first marathon was finding the energy to be “mom” after an 18-22 miler! And making myself go to bed early. I’m horrible about doing that.

Best of luck in your training! You are totally NOT insane…well maybe a little;-) All runners are!
    But you have so got this!
    Also, awesome choice in charity. Know that your racing for a great, needed cause.
    Amanda recently posted..Sunday Snaps

5. Melissa says

All runners are insane–it’s just a given. So let go of that part. The thing about running a marathon (I think) is that we like adversity. We like to look at something that seems insurmountable and show ourselves and the world that we CAN do it. I have no doubt you’ll kill it!

You’re AWESOME!!! After running my first Half in Dec. & my second in Jan. & running 3 times a week with a long run on the weekend my foot started bothering me. Started back this week with a little 3 miler. Great to be back but bummed that I know I’m a long way away from 13.
    Traci Blanchard recently posted..Pee Wee sings Billie Jean

Yay for starting up again! It’s hard to get back into it, isn’t it? I struggled a lot this summer (I started up again in June) and it didn’t click for me until November (nor was I really consistent until then either. You’ll get there again!

7. Stephanie Vanos says

I’m so excited for you! Chicago is the best city in the world and I can’t imagine a better place for a first marathon. Good luck, Friend!